Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The French Knot

How bad have I been? I've finished my cancer treatment but not the sampler I started when the cancer was discovered, it is my dedication to my illness.
Samplers (old ones), are usually morbid and a tribute to a relative or friend who has passed on. They were started with children between the ages of 7 to 15 either because the child was sick with polio, or the general family felt the child needed to learn the stitches.
I've created a few but this is the first I've done for myself.

 This is going to be a large tree, the french knots are a after thought because I felt the sampler was looking pretty plain. The apple tree was born!
The first photo shows how to start a french knot, pick a spot where you want the knot to be and draw the needle/thread up from beneath.

 Then...holding the tread in your non dominating hand, wrap the thread around the needle starting at where it comes out of the fabric. I find 3 wraps are good. The more the wraps the larger the knot.
 Holding the tread taut, re-stitch near the area of entrance for your floss.
 You can see where the created loop makes the knot.
 Who ever thought this technique up is a pure genius!
The effects are stunning. C&G Design
Words and photos by Dawn, C&G Design.

7 comments:

tina said...

Yes they are and for all my embroidering this is one stitch I cannot get down. Maybe you can show me when I come visit.

Jean Merriman said...

Hope to see the finished procust in the near future!

Lola said...

Lovely work. I've tried it in the past. Anxious to see the final product.

Skeeter said...

I remember learning this knot in Home Ec class at school. I bet they don't teach such stuff anymore.

Yep, the apples make the sampler for sure...

Debbie said...

Beautiful Dawn! It's great to see you back at it again...I love that!

Lola said...

Happy 4th friend. Hope you have a wonderful day with family & friends.

Protector of Vintage said...

I'm not very talented when it comes to most crafts, however, I really want to embroider some pillowcases for myself one of these days.

Happy to "see" you again.