Monday, October 18, 2010

My Next Challenge

I saw my chemotherapy doctor last week, I was somewhat nervous and I still am, the idea of pumping chemical into my body just doesn't seem good especially if it makes me sick.
I will be in therapy for 6 months, going every 2 weeks for 3 or 4 hours apiece.
I will have a port instead of the nurses seeking for a vein spot every time, a port is a junction (so to speak) into the artery with a plastic intravenous capsule outside of your skin. I had one in the hospital except it had 4 capsules. It was called a central line.
The kind of chemical cocktail (2) I will be getting is exclusive to colon cancer, one has a peculiar side effect. I won't be able to touch anything cold or my throat will spasm making me feel as if I were being choked, I will have to wear mittens to take anything out of the refrigerator or freezer. The Internet claims this is true with cold weather also. Oh boy! Winter in Maine!
The Internet also states that the chemical (at least one of them), interferes with the cell construction at the DNA development. That's the second stage of cell growth, unfortunately it will affect the good cells also.
I read that there has been a recent new drug approval for chemotherapy. The drug targets the growing area and chokes the blood supply off to the tumor.

Gosh! Great works in motion! C&G Design

Words and photos by Dawn,C&G Design.

6 comments:

Lola said...

Oh Dawn, my lovely friend, you will do fine. They do have drugs now a days to help with the nausea.
My cousin had his surgery back in '92
& he's doing great.
My prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

Dawn, sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers...

tina said...

I sure hope it works and the time passes quickly.

Debbie said...

Dawn...you are such a brave girl. This breaks my heart that you have to go through this.:( I am so sorry this has to happen to you. A big consolation to me is that you are such a strong girl and you seem to be so interested in the medical aspect of it all. You are going to get through this and you will be informing and helping others to come with your knowledge! Instead of just being a doll doctor, you will be a colon cancer one too! You are a sponge when it comes to details! Hang in there and don't worry about blogging so much. That side effect is a weird one though?? You are right...what about Maine's cold weather? Very strange. I have strange sensations with my feet from the plantar faciitis on cold floors. It goes right up my spine and makes me quiver all over. I am always searching for slippers before I start to walk. The six months will go by quickly we hope and then it will be spring! All things new...including you!

Skeeter said...

Burrrr, just thinking of winter makes my bones shiver. This shall be just another hurdle to jump and before long, the hurdles will be a mere memory and you will be strong and running down the track again...

Prayers continue to come to Maine but from TN instead of GA right now. :-)

Jean Merriman said...

Go kick that bad guys you know what!!!!!!! It is cold right now. I went outside yesterday and had to wear gloves as I was freezing.