Monday, June 7, 2010

More Studio

Soon enough I 'll be showing off my new studio place I'll be in to sew, doll make and craft. I'm trying to reveal as little as I can with out exposing it all. Check out what my husband wanted to do for me, he's a Jack of all trades I tell ya. We were concerned with the storage in this space, I mean the room is 12 x 24 with a stairway in and out of it, so the usable space is more like, 12 x 20. I can not really use the knee walls because the height and pitch of the roof made the walls 6 feet thereby requiring braced supports in the knee wall itself. Other words, a 2x4 slanting back to the roof and cutting the space in half. I could and I am going to place boards on top the braces and use what I have but it's not enough.
What about a lonnng bookshelf, 20 feet long. This is where my husband entered, he decided to build cubbies in between the trusses and as high as they could go. It was slow going but worth it I believe. I asked him if he'd be insulted by me putting a curtain up in front of the opening, he didn't see why I 'd do that but "no" he wouldn't be insulted. We will stain everything in Early American like the rest of the house. Isn't this great? I still have my floor space.
This photo is taken at the spot my husband was standing in the first photo. He is making adjustable shelving for each cubby and when all is said and done I will probably have a long ribbon rack above the cubbies.
Can't wait...............! C&G Design


Words and photos by Dawn,C&G Design.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Brilliant, Dawn. You must be happy dancing every time you enter the room. When done, if it were me, I'd crank up my favorite song as loud as I could and dance and sing at the top of my lungs! Yup, even if it were just me dancing!!! (oh, and especially if I was singing, too. Alone would be best.)

Debbie said...

I think that hubby of yours is more than a Master of One trade Dawn! He is a master at most everything he does I think! How lucky you are. Now he doesn't play guitar does he? Ha ha. Like Nancy said, it's brilliant!

tina said...

Way cool!

Jean Merriman said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! That is going to hold a lotta stuff. Awesome job. Nancy has a good idea with the music and dancing. I agree with the curtian as it will help with dust control. Maybe even at some poing you could make doors outta just a cheap piece of paneling. Would be fairly cheap and easy. Then again maybe with it being on the 3rd floor and under the knee walls it would make it too hot in the summer. Maybe your idea is better. Guess I am thinking out loud with with my keyboard.

Roses and Lilacs said...

What a great idea reclaiming that space between the studs.
Marnie

CC said...

All I can do is oooooo and ahhhhhhhhh
over your wonderful craft space. I am so happy for you that you have it,and ohhhhh,how I wish for such an area for myself. I just know you're so super excited that you're almost jumping about and squealing with happiness. I know I would be..