Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ruth doll by Horseman

I found another beauty at Goodwill the other day, she is Ruth made by Horseman. At first I could not locate an identity until I read Ruth dolls have a T-14, T-16 or T-18 for a marking at the back of the head. Mine is marked "Horseman T-16". The number represents the size in inches. There are alot of Ruth dolls, some with long hair, some with a slightly different face mold as she still is being made today.
I was surprised to see the dirty legs of Ruth sticking out from underneath some other toys. I could tell she was old as she dates to the late 50's. After putting on my glasses (yuck) and reading the marks on the neck, I sort of, kinda, held Ruth close to me. Another shopper, older lady, declared to me that "they have such good dolls here, just look at the ones over there....one has a teddy at her feet." I didn't have the heart to tell her the porcelain dolls are.....just that. I did look down at Ruth though and discovered I was hugging her.
I think I could almost squeal when I saw she still had her original clothing on although missing her nurses cap which shouldn't be a problem.

I can remember bidding on a Ruth doll when I first was a member of EBay. She was composition and I wanted her bad. Well, it was grocery shopping day and I'd forgotten I left a bid two days before, she was sold to someone for a fraction of what I had for a bid. I remembered her while driving home and called my husband but I was too late. :(



Ruth is a very early doll for Horseman, the vinyl doll was in production as early as 1950, the first dolls had dimpled knees, both in the front and in the back like the model shown above. By the late fifties, her knees had become more rounded as in my doll and the one below. Into the sixty, her face had changed slightly, her value varies, perfect condition dolls are listed from $80 to $150 on EBay.

Sure is a whole lot more than $2.99. C&G Design

Words and photos by Dawn,C&G Design.

5 comments:

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

What a great find, enjoy her!

Nancy said...

Great find!

Debbie said...

What a treasure Dawn! That Goodwill near you is quite a treasure too! GeeGee and I are going to have to come down and check that one out! Really interesting story about the Horseman dolls. Do you have a lot of doll books? Where do you get all your info....you have so much knowledge of dolls!

Jean Merriman said...

Another great find, it is like they are calling your name!!!!

Lola said...

Oh my, what a beauty. That was a wonderful find. I would have hugged her too.