Thursday, April 1, 2010

Soft Sculpture Doll-clothing

Time for a update on my soft sculpture doll, I had abandoned her for 2 weeks because her clothing were a major decision for me. Should her dress continue with the old time techniques and have cut work? Puffy sleeves? Smocking in the back? In the end I left it plain. The shoe were slotted to be Mary Jane's for sure. They were pretty simple to make too. Using the shoe pattern I used for the composition toddler, I omitted the tongue of the shoe to make a place for the strap.



Two pieces of thin cardboard soles for each shoe. The first piece was used to hot glue the vinyl to the edge of it (first photo), don't forget to notch around the curves. The second piece was glued over the first to conceal the glued parts of the shoe. I also painted the cardboard to match the shoe.



Check this out, I purchased this sandwich sized bag at Goodwill about a month ago, cost me a whopping $.99. My husband looked at me so strangely that I was even doubting myself! I wasn't sure what to really use these for, but I'm glad now that I bought them, duh....shoe buckles.


They came out really good, the bits of school glue you see in the front at the toes will be covered with a sharpie, I reinforced it with the all purpose slow drying glue because vinyl is plastic and I wanted to be sure the hot glue will stay. Alittle blush on the knees, elbows and back of the hands.


Another dilemma, remember my doll has tights on? What do you do under the dress. I decided a matching set of shorts would be nice.


I also could not resist the cute little lace. It works to flare the dress, at least that's what I tell myself.

I finished her arms which weren't so easy, one looks bigger than the other and I'm not sure which one looks better. Can ya tell I'm not all that secure with this procedure!?! I can't make up my mind on anything. Oh well.


Might I mention she is completely done and I'm happy with the results. She will be revealed on Monday, along with her name (as usual).


One little pearl dangle was all she needed. C&G Design



Have a lovely April fool's day all!


Words and photos by Dawn,

C&G Design.

7 comments:

tina said...

Those buckles were a great buy. You've done a good job. She has quite an expression.

Skeeter said...

I like the left arm best but the right arm is fine as well.

I dreamed about you and Raggedy Ann last night! I was at a craft fair and spotted Raggedy Ann items. I ran to find you to let you know. We both had a good laugh when you informed me that was your booth! Ha, your Raggedy Creations....

This makes my second Raggedy Ann dream. The first one was about a week ago or so ago. I was dreaming about a football helmet with Raggedy Ann on it. Think I was crossing the Babe with Raggedy Ann Wednesday...

Nice to see you in my dreams....

Dawn said...

Skeeter, That is too funny! I think my son would have a heart attack if I came to him with a handmade sticker of Ann for his helment. Although next year will be his last....it can be done!

Jean Merriman said...

She is wonderful and I love the bloomers!!!!

Roses and Lilacs said...

You have done a wonderful job on this doll. She is your creation from start to finish. Bet it gives you a nice feeling of satisfaction to see how well she turned out.
Marnie

Debbie said...

Wow....nice find on the buckles and of COURSE you would find a use for them!! We are talking about DAWN the creator of all things dolls aren't we??? Come on now! Sometimes you even doubt yourself when you shouldn't!! And let's not forget you are the GW queen too. For those of you that don't know what that is, you will have to figure that out for yourself or ask Dawn...I did and felt really stupid! Ha ha Nice job on this doll Dawn...as usual...you are the master....or mastress?? Is there such a word???

Lola said...

Your little baby is ever so cute with that little pixie smile. The buckles are just the thing to put the finishing touch to those adorable shoes.
Can't wait to see her finished. Was wondering about her hair.