Friday, May 8, 2009

Redwork-block 7, Hippo

As mentioned yesterday, this is one of my favorite animals in the wild, I've always thought they were a slow moving, huggable creature. It wasn't until my late thirties I discovered the hippo is an aggressive, very territorial animal that can be as fast as any other animal it's size and will kill quickly. Mostly it wades underwater, it's known as a herbivore but if another mammal comes close to it, the hippo will attack, especially if they have young with them. The jaw on the hippo is wide opening and very strong, one bite is fatal.
So! I have a renewed likeness with respect for this majestic animal.

I can tell I'm running out of things to say about red work, I'm rambling about the hippo. Ha! C&G Design

I'd like to thank one of my commenter's, Lola, for sending me a wonderful gift! It's a wee little door to be attached to a tree in my yard and Lola sent it in celebration of Fairy day. I'm installing it out by my huge veggie garden and every time I look at it, I will surely have a smile come to my face. Thank-you Lola! Dawn

9 comments:

tina said...

Lola is such a sweet lady! So glad you got the gift. We really wished you all could've met up with us.

I think the info on the hippo is interesting. Their teeth can rip a man apart in no time.

Kathleen said...

Aren't bloggers some of the nicest folks in the world? When I was a a child, I had a stuffed hippo. She has a tutu on..like in Disney's Fantasia. Who knew this was a creature who could kill you in a few seconds flat. Live & learn. Have you turned into mildew or mold yet? (rain, rain, rain, rain) Hugs, Kathleen

Jean Merriman said...

Interesting about the hippo. They always capture my intrest whenever I see one. Maybe that is cause they are soooo big but look so gentle.

Lola sure is a sweetie.

Just plain ole dreary here all week but not a large amount of rain with the bulk of it during the night.

Hope all has a good weekend. As soon as I go check Tina's blog I will be headed to Portland to the airport to get Elizabeth.

Nancy said...

I love stopping in to see your hand embroidery. Still my favorite.

Skeeter said...

Well, so much for the barnyard theme I thought you were going with. lol....

Lola is a sweetie and the door will be a perfect welcome for the Fairy's to come on into the garden... Don’t ya just love surprises? :-) tee hee…

The hippo at our favorite zoo has been moved to another zoo for expanding the elephant area. I will miss our hippo but now it will no longer be alone as it will have some hippo friends to be with. Hope they dont fight it out for territory...

Jean, Have a fun weekend!

DP Nguyen said...

I had no idea that hippos could be so mean! Wow! I guess all animals can be mean if they've got their babies with them! Yikes!

lola said...

You are very welcome, Dawn.
Those little people need a way in & out so they can help. You know they do their good deeds at night. Then they go home just before day break.
Love the hippo. I knew they were dangerous from watching the Disney channel. Couldn't believe they were so fast.
Have a good one Jean & Thanks.
Thanks, Skeeter.
Thanks Tina for the compliment.

Jean Merriman said...

You are most welcomed Lola!!! I have to agree with Kathleen and say that the bloggers I have met (sadly only on line) are the best and I can tell you another blogger amongst our mist is also a sweetie.
She also likes to give surprises. Skeeter my dear thank you so much. The book is just lovely but the thought and sentiment that came along with it is priceless. Dawn will down in a few days so I will show her your note. Many hugs and kisses!!!! Now I have to hit my bed. I am tuckered out for sure.

Skeeter said...

Your welcome Jean. I missed this comment and was wondering if you received the book. Happy to know it is in your hands....