Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dyeing a doll's wig

This is a first for me, dyeing a doll's wig that is real mohair and try it make it the exact color. I went to Joanne's for help. Since I did not bring the wig with me it was a educated guess. I picked up yellow, orange (to tone and deepen the yellow), and brown. I have plenty of dipping samples and more stray mohair so this should be a easy peasy task. Here we see the wig sinking in the dye bath.

So okay,...I remembered everything , I even remembered the salt to darken the color but I forgot the gloves....good thing I didn't have to go anywhere within the next couple of days. My hands and fingernails looked jaundice.


And I guess I went hands in because I had a small panic about my wig, it looked really red, RED! Oh, no ,no. Remembering the newspaper I gathered for underneath my "drip dry" wig, I carried my dyeing disaster to the bathroom 3 times for a faithful cold water rinse.



This was the end results, I knew the wig would dry lighter than the wet color, but I still wasn't sure how close to the original wig I would come. I only knew I was happy with this color.




Not bad. A bit bright but lovely just the same. C&G Design

8 comments:

Lola said...

Looking Good.

Kathleen said...

Nice dye job, Dawn. Looks great. It is amazing to see the progress of this doll. Hugs, Kathleen

Nancy @ La Chambre Rose said...

Beautiful!

tina said...

It sure did look red. Came out very nice though.

Roses and Lilacs said...

I really like the end color, strawberry blond. Of course, I would have liked red hair too but I understand you are trying to duplicate the original. How come you didn't use Clairol?
Marnie

Jean said...

Not bad at all and I love the color. I should be so lucky as to have hair like that. Only in my dreams but maybe my next life.

Debbie said...

I can't believe what you doll makers have to go through to get these wonderful results! How interesting Dawn! What a lucky girl, she got a near perfect dye job from her doctor!! Very cool!

Skeeter said...

Gloves, we dont need so stinking gloves. lol, I have made that mistake many time but not with dye. I dont play with dye, well, yet anyway...