Monday, December 29, 2008

Bradley Dolls

I think most everyone can identify with this beauty that has big eyes and an elegant posture. I've allowed Madame to have these as a serious collection, when I say serious, I mean I limit her on other dolls. Madame already has a fan collection, a hankie collection, a Ty baby collection and if she had her way, every cat in the neighborhood collection! These are Bradley Dolls, 1954 to 1984 when the company was purchased by Hasbro. Not clear if its related to the game manufacturer Milton Bradley. Madame has 3 of the dolls. They are sometimes referred to as boudoir dolls or stockinette dolls. The structure is a simple foam underlayment with fabric placed over it. The legs are long and the hair is the shiniest of synthetic threads. One of Madame's has its original music base the plays while rotating the doll, she is packed with the other Bradley doll, soon to be opened again. The Bradley doll is sometime featured on a lamp base.
You'll be able to spot these little ladies in a thrift shop, the valve isn't great because as of a decade ago, the Bradly doll could be found everywhere. Something is still haunting about the wide eyed, elaborately dressed, model attitude doll that attracts many buyers to her.
Madame being one. C&G Design


11 comments:

tina said...

I have seen them of lamps before. Definitely big eyes.

Anonymous said...

That is a cute doll & I'm sure Madame will take good care of them. They are a treasure.

Jean Merriman said...

They sure are dressed to the nines.

Skeeter said...

My what big eyes you have! Ops, I am confusing this doll with a wolf, sorry about that but she does have big eyes...

Skeeter said...

Christmas Ann and Andy are my favorites on Raggedy Wednesday so far! They are adorable as is the Vest!

Kathleen said...

I've never seen these dolls before. Just beautiful...love the hair and the dress. Kathleen

Dawn said...

Hi guys,
Tina, I figured you'd remember these.
Lola, Madame is good about her things esp money! She's a saver, brother is not.
Hi Mom
Skeeter, I want to thank-you for the ornaments, we waited til Christmas to open them. Beautiful! And apparently wooly thought so as he removed the cardinal off the tree! Left the bluebird alone but counldn't resist the red one! Everything was unharmed and I moved the nest to a higher spot.
Kathleen, It's beautiful over here today, my mom is midcoast but oringinaly from far east Maine. I'm going to work on my blog today, I've been lax-a-daisy about my blogroll as I want you added.

Protector of Vintage said...

I'm glad I found your blog. I'm learning so much about dolls!!

Skeeter said...

Bad bad Wooly,, tee hee... Sheba has been getting plush snowmen off the new garland on the stairs. I think they are all finally secured from her paws. But there is always tomorrow!!! Bad kitties...

muriel said...

i liked them before but didn't have money to buy them, now i look for them, i got 3 already, from the second hand store! in my blog i put some pictures :3 very cute ones.

Dawn said...

Hi Curlytop,
I'm having a hard time posting on your blog. Could you add the google language translator to your sidebar? Thanks