Thursday, April 23, 2009

Vintage Block

I have a idea, it came from here. Sounds simple enough, make a vintage block (building block), out of a few items and use that block to display some of your favorite pictures.

The idea is to cut the bottom of a quart of milk, creamer, etc. Fill one bottom with plaster, in my case I used some rocks as a filler, then affix one cover over the other. Yep, that's my goal, but I ran out of plaster half way through and I had to get more out of storage. Drats!


The plaster hardened, grrrr. I could only force, force! The cover on to about halfway, tsk! Makes sense.

Well, I decided since it had layers of paper mache, I'd go ahead a try what I could.

Detouring a little off the subject, I have to mention what inspired my choice of pictures for my block. My son's English teacher, he is a sophomore and until this year he didn't care about doing any work for English. "It's boring." "A lot of paper writing." "I just don't like it." Ugh, we have struggled for no reason other than he didn't want to be there. Believe me. He knows the work. Anyway, this quarter he started coming home and talking about Julius Caesar, lightness and pleasantness in his tone. "What?" Talk about boring....I didn't say that though! He went from two C's up to a B+. Oh, so close to the A she told him he might be able to achieve. Sadly she left last Friday, she's gone on maternity leave with her first child, she also signs her email as Shakespeare Advisor, she made it fun. Shakespeare.

Anyway, here are 3 of the pictures I'm using, all from Shakespeare including the great man himself.


Luckily, my son has her husband for chemistry next year, luckily. Maybe I'll give my block to her. C&G Design.


Kathleen at Rural Maine Life is hosting a giveaway for her 100th post, and her birthday. Comment on her blog before 9:00 pm on Saturday the 25th (her birthday), and you'll be entered to win several items with a Fleur De Lis pattern including a sweet teapot. Click here.

5 comments:

tina said...

It is too bad about the Babe's teacher leaving, but it is nearly the end of the year for school anyhow.

Congrats to Kathleen on her 100th posting!

tina said...

And a Happy Birthday to her too!

Kathleen said...

Thank you Dawn, so much for posting my give-away...mmmm such big letters too. (Big hug here) Thank you Tina for the birthday wishes. As one approaches my age, every positive wish, makes the birthday more bearable. Am looking forward to seeing the end result of this project...make sure you show us. Rain, rain, rain, hope the week-end is all they promise. Hugs, Kathleen

Jean Merriman said...

Good for the Babe, let us hope he keeps up with it next year.

Congrats Kathleen and Happy Birthday to you come Saturday. That is also Dawn's youngest sister's birthday.

The weekend sure does sound like a winner.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

You are so versatile Dawn!