Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wrinkles the Camel

Many people who are slightly acquainted with Raggedy Ann and Andy, do not know they lived in a nursery full of other toys. This is a post about Wrinkles, the camel. Wrinkles was first introduced in 1924 in the book, Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees, cover shown above, originally a white camel and later being described as a soft tan felt camel.
Pirate Chieftan and Eddie Elf ,(only two Johnny Gruelle characters not depicted as toys) are also introduced in this story.
After taking a magical balloon ride to fairyland, Ann and Andy meet Wrinkles the Camel, together they search for the stolen french doll, Babette. Wrinkles himself had also been stolen years earlier. The trio meet friends like the old tired horse who, when blindfolded and walked backwards lead them to the Land of the Loonies. They reunited a girl with her brother and find a old witch who helps get Babette back.


Readers learn a lesson about understanding and forgiveness, Wrinkles becomes a regular part in Ann and Andy's Adventures.




Pirate Chieftan and Eddie Elf are girls posing as men. C&G Design



11 comments:

Nancy said...

I think I caught up on reading all of your postings I missed while down south. What an educational morning! Thanks for taking the time to research and post all the history. The nature pics are fabulous and remind me of growing up in New York...the woods in Rome, the river from Binghamton, and the shadows from the tall trees at my grandmother's house on Seneca Lake.

Yes, what a change from New Orleans it is here now. Very cold, windy and rainy with dark low clouds. I wish we were able to keep this wonderful mountain home as a getaway for family and friends and still move down south to a city. Four weeks a year is enough for me in Vermont.

Thank goodness for blogging! (Oh, loved the grasshopper.)

MaidenShade said...

This is the 5th time I've tried to post - I keep getting an error, how strange!

I didn't know the history of that - thank you for doing the research. My grandparents had that and many other old books (Oz series, Alice series...) they represent my earliest influences; )

have a wonderful day! xJ

Jean Merriman said...

There sure were a lot of different characters and you have been nice enough to each us a lot about then.

Skeeter said...

I did not know about Wrinkles the Camel! How cute and great companion for Ann and Andy...

Skeeter said...

Oh, forgot to mention, I mailed you a disc of pictures yesterday. Dolls my mom gave me, thought you would get a kick out of seeing them with your love of dolls and all. Too many to email you so sent them the old fashioned way instead...

lola said...

What great info, Dawn. I don't recall ever hearing about the wrinkled knee camel. Really nice.

tina said...

Looks like me when I get dressed in the morning;)

Debbie said...

Another new one on me Dawn! You are just full of information. Are you a teacher by profession? If not...you should be, as it comes so natural to you. Your daughter is one lucky Madame to have you for a mom/teacher/friend. I just went back upstairs to check on the Raggedies and they are nice and comfy cozy. I took the time to really look at your work. It's truly amazing. I was showing my husband all the details of the way the dolls were made and the cute dress on Ann and the matching shirt on Andy...the cloth strips for the hair...the blue jean pants on Andy...so much work and so meticulously done. You are a true crafter...I LOVE them...thanks again my friend.:)

Jean Merriman said...

Skeeter, The doll you could not think of the name for the other day....could it have been a Baby Snookums doll?

Skeeter said...

Jean, I have never heard of a Baby Snookums Doll before. Hum, I will look that one up on internet and see if I can find a pic of one...

Skeeter said...

They were Troll Dolls! I just found them on the internet! I did not know they had so many different types of them. The Snookums dolls are new to me also. Learn something new every day here on the blog!