Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In the Nursery

From the rare publication "Beloved Belindy" By Johnny Gruelle; copyright 1926

"Beloved Belindy was the mammy of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy and all the other dolls in the nursery. She was the nicest, fattest, soft rag doll you would ever care to cuddle. And the smile painted broad face was cheery as could be.
One just had to be happy, when one wears a happy smile, or else the smile would soon go away.


But when a smile is painted on, it is almost certain never to come off.

Belindy's body was stuffed with the softest cotton mother could find, and the fleecy cotton made Beloved Belindy very fat.

But when when there were no old folks around, Beloved Belindy could run just as fast as any of the other dolls, for her cotton-stuffed body was light."
This is how Belindy was introduced in the Raggedy Ann and Andy world, she oversaw and ran the nursery.
On a interesting note....I found Knickerbocker wanted to bring Beloved Belindy back on the shelves in 1964. Almost immediately she caused uproars with the "mammy" look. She was pulled from the stores and most were burned. That is why she is highly collectible. The book "Beloved Belindy" retails for $175.00 to $800.00 depending on the condition.
Not to be published on the Internet. C&G Design


Words and photos by Dawn,

C&G Design.

10 comments:

tina said...

Very pretty. I think it sad you can't find the movie Song of the South in the U.S. I did find a European formatted tape on EBay though. I guess it is the same thing with Belindy.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Dawn Sweetie...
Thank you for sharing this morning, and for bringing the beloved Belindy, nanny back today. You did an exceptional job creating her. Anyone would be so proud.

I have never heard this piece of the story of Raggedy Ann and Andy, and I will research and do some more reading. I love this type of history. Thank you so much for sharing.

Country hugs sweetie and so much love...Sherry

Roses and Lilacs said...

I had never heard that story. For better or worse, new generations will never hear it either and it will be completely forgotten.
Marnie

Protector of Vintage said...

Very interesting info and the doll is so charming!

Mollye said...

Oh my oh my what a sweetie, and she brings back so many memories. I've always been in love with all the Raggedy's. Thanks for sharing, XXMollye

Skeeter said...

I dont understand the entire Politically Correctness we are becoming in this country! Belindy was a beloved nanny and now she is hardly remembered. So sad. I am surprised we see “Gone with the Wind” on TV these days…

Jean Merriman said...

Ditto with all that Skeeter said, sadly it is so true.

On a much brighter side, your Belindy is so cute. As always Wendesday brings a smile.

Debbie said...

I love the Mammy dolls and the one pictured is just beautiful! Did you make it?? I wish I had a passion for something in life the way you do for dolls Dawn...I think it's just great. Sorry I have not been around lately...I am trying to get back to blogging again but things are busy.

Lola said...

Beautiful doll Dawn. Thanks for that info. I had never heard it before.
Sadly a lot of history is being put on the back burner & will be forgotten.

Nukke said...

I understand why this doll is thought to be racist but it is LOVELY. I would be so happy if I would find that kind of doll somewhere. But if I had it with in my collection I would't dare to show it to my immigrant black friends but I myself would LOVE it. But like in old American movies those black Mammy were so loveable but racist too, this is so difficult issue !!!