Monday, February 15, 2010

Premature Baby

I can remember when my husband and I first started in the heating business as independents, it was a poor time for the economy, and that being such, work came in slowly. Well, my husband was already connected with a supplier that really guided us through all we needed to do, including offering free in services. I must say...although it was needed, the first in service was in Massachusetts and it was the first time we spent a night apart. What did I do? Why, of course, I made a doll, not just any doll but one that makes you stop and pause, one that makes you say "hummm, not so sure it's a cutie." She is pictured above as the middle doll. My idea initiated with the current (at the time) trend to shape it like a spoon, reference spoon dolls, but she did not turn out that way. To me...she has a premature look about her, being she is tiny. Anyway, I kept her AND after all these years, I still have the pattern, I do not have the cloths because her dress is made as a simple gathered skirt attached to a sewn tube with straight sleeves. After you construct the dress you slip the baby in and using ribbon you tighten a drawstring around the neck, She also wears a cloth as a diaper.
Here is her pattern: cut 4 arms and four legs, stitch right sides together, leave opening to be able to turn and stuff, slip stitch closed. Arms and legs are attached with buttons. Pattern page 2 need to have the appropriate pieces from pattern page 3 attached at the straight edges. Cut one back, one front and 2 sides, stitch with right sides together (you can embroider the face before assembling or after), turn and stuff, slip stitch opening.


You will find you'll need to clip the curves and stuff pretty tightly, if her legs are properly placed she will sit alone.


Use anything you desire for hair, even a wisp of cotton would be cute. Mine is looped yarn glued on top.
Enjoy! C&G Design


Words and photos by Dawn,

C&G Design.

7 comments:

tina said...

I think we all remember those first nights apart. Making a doll would make it pass quickly.

Mollye said...

Adorable and Thank you so much for sharing this long ago and forgotten little beauty with us. I made one similar many years ago and it brings back some happy memories. Hope this encourages someone to begin a longtime love affair of doll making! Have a great week ahead, XXMollye

Roses and Lilacs said...

Her dress may be simple but I love it. The color and pattern are very pretty.
Marnie

Lola said...

She is really pretty. I was alone so much it's hard to remember the first time.

Jean Merriman said...

For someone that loves dolls like you do, I bet it did make the night go faster.

Skeeter said...

This spoon doll is a cute handmade treasure in my eyes....

Kathleen said...

Great story, and an adorable little doll. How many dolls do you have Dawn? And when did you fall in love with dolls? Just wonderin', hugs, Kathleen