Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lap Robe

Everyone seems to be having crisis right now, my son is being inattentive to his classwork and giving a "sleepy teen" attitude. Okay. I'd be wealthy if I could figure a cure for it.

I went to the dentist yesterday and after almost 2 years from a deep decay filling, the dentist has decided I need a root canal. I've mentioned the pain and discomfort every 6 months since the filling was done and they kept suggesting a different solution, I even had a impacted wisdom tooth removed due to that side of the mouth pain!
Then thinking my husband was okay with his periodontal disease, he has 4 cavities. Today, (after his deep scale cleaning) he came home for work and doubled in pain from a alternating molar, (not the cavities) and no one can explain it. (I called the dentist) He had updated x-rays which seem fine. Ugh! He seems better tonight but the morning will tell.

Madame has added youth cheer leading to her growing list of things to do. It's coming to mom arranging appointments for a kiss goodbye from her as she flies off to school!

Anyway. I wanted to show you another old but new thing I've worked on. It's a lap robe for my family room couch. I have a really unique couch up here, it's a whiskey keg (3 of them) seater. You may of seen the back of the couch in the pictures that have the round wooden background, it's black and marked with the makers initials wood burned into the side of it. Well, since it's vinyl, it's chilly. We sit on it and find it's okay as couches go, (no dream bed though) but it needs a little zest.

This lap robe is the thing. It is fabric I cut from a winter coat from the 70's, I cut it in the 80's. (can you imagine!?) I never put it together because I didn't know what to do with the pockets. They are added to the robe as hand warmers and can be seen in the photo. The solid black is a pair of velvet pants from the same era. My blocks are 8'' x 7'' and the blanket is 3 blocks by 5. That is approximate 45'' x 20''. Vintage, I would say.



About time I came across it and put it together, brings back memories! C&G Design

9 comments:

tina said...

Hang in there with the teeth pain. It gets better. Neat on cutting a 70s coat in the 80s. I hope it keeps you most warm.

Protector of Vintage said...

Hope the dental issues get resolved real soon. My husband is having similar problems!

Jean Merriman said...

Life does have some bumps at times. Hang in there.

The lap robe is very neat with all the vintage material that is staying out of a landfill and keeping you guys warm on a cold night in Maine night. Good job!!

Debbie said...

Hey Dawn...it must be something in the air because the same thing is going on here. Hubby is sick with a flu/cold and I am coming down with it. My son is having some "stuff" go on in his life that is hard for me to let go of...(he's 25!). Life has gotten busy again but you know what? I am with you...crafting!! I dug an old afghan out I started 2 years ago and am working on that. I am making some crochet purses and am going to start some pincushions too I think. I don't know about you, but it soothes me to be crafting in one way or the other. I am not a sit still kind of girl. I never saw the whiskey keg couch you are talking about? Is there a picture of it on your blog? Great idea for the throw! Who cares if the fabric is from that era...you are recycling and I think that's fabulous! I think you must be a pioneer woman reincarnated. Tooth pain...oh God I am sorry for both of you. I hope it gets resolved soon and you are both pain free. That's a hard thing to go through. I HATE dentists!! I am a scaredy cat when it comes to that!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Strange your dentist couldn't find the cause. Hope things get better quickly for you and your hubby.

Love the lap robe. I keep my house pretty cool and use them all the time.
Marnie

Lola said...

Great on the lap robe. I keep something around to cover with even in summer. Something about having a cover on you.
Sorry about the tooth problem. It must be going around as Young'un has been having problems with one of his.
All will be better later.

Birgit said...

Oh you poor thing! So much going on and dental work is the worst. I hope you get all on the mend soon.
What a great idea for a lap blanket. I'd love to see a picture of the couch you're talking about. (hint, hint)
Take care~ Birgit

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Your dentist story sounds very familiar. I've been having a lot of pain over the years and I had numerous x-rays but they can never figure out what is wrong. I know now that a lot of it is stress.

Skeeter said...

Hope the pain eases and soon! Ouch... will need that jacket and soon. Chilly it is a gettin...