Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Lenci Type Doll, part 1

I don't know much about Lenci dolls except they are commanding large premiums and they are beautiful. The doll and clothing are constructed from felt and many "excellent" shaped dolls have moth holes although many that are pin hole sized. Lenci was started by a husband and wife team in Italy. The dolls faces were molded over a hard surfaced doll head and added to a felt body. The doll isn't the "make" of it's popularity, it is the clothing, the felt was of the finest wool n Italy and most all models of dolls had detailed flowers, checks, stripe and so on. A lot of dolls came with matching hats. I believe the company was around the turn of the century.
The mother of this patented doll made many different kinds and also made many ceramic figurines, however, the doll is distinguished by a side way glance, the middle finger and ring finger are stitched together and Lenci had a marking tag/stamp for the bottom of the left foot.

I can't remember when I molded this doll....I'm thinking 2000 because it was shortly after my daughter was born, I apparently forgot to sign and date her. Duh..I've made every bit of her including her wig but I'll save that for some other time.


I laid a glue soaked piece of felt over a plastic face of a doll and I baked it on a low temp, not very techno creative but it worked! Anyway, I stitched her to a simple round headed doll I had sewn just for the face. If I remember right the face took quite some time and was difficult, I had to use a awl and take many respite periods from stitching so I could allow my hands to rest.


My intention was to create a free standing doll and she does, only don't walk by her because she will nose dive straight onto her face.

I had a silly little cotton patchwork dress on her which I just threw on, it wasn't becoming.
Time for a change. C&G Design


10 comments:

Tracey said...

wow.. you are a talented woman. I can't believe you do all this with dolls. Regular size sewing and clothes is difficult enough. I love the red dressed doll. I'm going to Italy next year, I want to find one.. think my chances are good?? Oh, and I love your blog banner.. glad you decided on this one!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Dawn...
I had to stop by and see what doll you would grace me with today. I am always so amazed with what you have to share. You must have at least 1 room packed to the hilt with dolls. I love the little red dressed doll at the beginning of your post. She is just precious, and sounds like she is worth some money.

Thank you for sharing sweetie. As always I so loved my stop by. Have a beautiful Tuesday. Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

tina said...

I have to agree you really know your dolls. I had no idea you have always made them. I thought just the stitching of quilts and upholstery.

Roses and Lilacs said...

My aunt was a doll collector for many years. She would have enjoyed your discussions so much. She passed away in the early 80's so she never got to learn all the wonderful information available on blogs and the internet now.
Marnie

Jean Merriman said...

Dolls, dolls, dolls everywhere. I think you could fill a store. You should really hang a shingle for a "Doll Doctor"!! I am also with Tina in that I had no idea how long you have beem making dolls but I have to take it a step farther and say I have been quite amazed with your love of dolls. Strange how a mother and sister both could not pick up on something that is such a passion. Where have we been?

Skeeter said...

A doll in the oven. OMG that sounds like something my brother would have done to get me riled up big time! Get that baby dressed so I can see her in all her Glory...

Have you ever taken a head count of all the dolls you have? Just wondering here...

Lola said...

Lovely.

Debbie said...

More interesting dolls Dawn! I too am amazed that you have been making dolls for some time now! I also want to know how many dolls you have?? Come on now...inquiring minds want to know!!

Dawn said...

Hi guys,
Mom, your forgetting the mini you and Joanne got me one year for Christmas. My love of dolls goes way back to the 80's in fact the dollhouse is from RR auction, that was what started it.
This is embarassing but....I don't really know what I have for a head count. Each time I think I'm done, I unpack more, goodness! I am surprising myself with it! This is part of my goal, complete all these lovelies and display them, cross your fingers I won't run out of room!

Nancy said...

Dawn, I believe I may be hooked now. I absolutely love that red dressed doll! But, even more, I am totally impressed by your little cutie. What a marvelous collection you have now.