Monday, November 9, 2009

Revealing the Painted Doll

Well, I finished her, I even managed to make a imitation rattle in a dusty rosy pink color. I don't know what it is but this baby reminds me of a girl. She will take-up her spot on the extra chair in the dining room. Sadie sits on the captain's seat now "Selma" has the other chair. I plan to add a few more babies with her but I've yet to unpack the ones I'm thinking of. Bree the Bird Lady and Penny are to the left, atop the built-in hutch. I thought this antique dog would look cute with her but it overwhelms the setting.
All and all she didn't do too bad. Her head, still there, looks differently with a bonnet. Her hands, er, well they are her hands. The over gown is wonderful! Just the right touch.


I decided to not apply the aging paint process, I'll use that on another. She has that new texture complexion she should have, although sometimes you can see a great glare on her face do to the varnish. That is why most of these photos are at a angle.

Sadie ends up with the dog and Selma ends up with the Teddy. C&G Design

One other thing about a painted varnished cloth doll, they have a illusion of being heavy weighted, actually they weigh no more than a small saucer dish. I'd read that along the way But I'm still so amazed when I carry Selma, very sturdy, very light. Thanks for the words of encouragement on her!


9 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Dawn,
Selma is absolutely exquisite. She turned out so beautiful, and you had your doubts about finishing her. I knew she would be beautiful, and she looks so precious with Teddy. Her gown is so pretty and I love the crowning glory with her little rattle. How precious is that? Thank you so much for sharing her along the way. I have so enjoyed popping over here seeing and reading about her the last several posts. I just love her.

Have a beautiful day sweetie, and I can't wait to see what you start next. Country hugs, Sherry

tina said...

You did such a good job painting her face. You should be an artist!

Lola said...

She looks great Dawn.

Roses and Lilacs said...

She turned out so well. I love the dress, so elegant.
Marnie

Debbie said...

Dawn....what a beautiful job you did!! That gown is to die for...you ARE an extremely talented seamstress and doll maker!! The rattle is just the frosting on the cake and what a surprise! Is there anything that you can't make my friend?? I love the pink ribbon and add ons you put on the gown and the little teddy looks perfect next to her. Great job!! I'm so proud of you!! I know this must have been a lot of work but you make it look effortless. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a project this huge!

Protector of Vintage said...

Very nice!! Love the gown.

Jean Merriman said...

Well by golly I think she turned out absolutely magnificence. I am impressed with the superb job you did!!!

CC said...

Selma is a darling..and I love her. You did a great job with her. She's so sweet with her tiny rattle and her little gown. She's the sweetest..

Skeeter said...

I never had any doubts that you would turn that coneheaded baby into some spectacular! And just look at Selma glow with her rattle and teddy bear! You have such a knack for these challenging projects Dawn…