Thursday, November 5, 2009

Painted doll-part 2, the face

Okay, I decided to keep this doll although the next time I use this pattern it will be with a few alterations, more darts, mainly to make the head rounder.
Anyway, after I tried to copy the face on the pattern, this is what came out. I'm listing this lady in primitives because it reminds me of those faces that were painted and painted crudely.
I had to lower the hair line because the face looked to long, turned out I could of made bigger features instead. I did a little research on varnished dolls, did you know the hair is painted with a glue gel to give it texture? Whoops!

Here she is with the first coat of varnish, for a antique aged look you apply a dark wood stain then blot it off. I may decide this or not.


One thing that is going to happen, this will be a infant doll wearing a bonnet and a ole' fashioned christening gown with socks. This personality is what convinced me to keep her, I think she will be perfect as a baby holding a rattle.
She's not that cute, I know. C&G Design



6 comments:

tina said...

Good paint job!

Debbie said...

Dawn....What a process! You are learning and reassessing as you go. I am doing that with those mouse pincushions....which is such a baby project compared to what you do! Did you hand paint the features and the hair yourself?? Wow! This reminds me of my angel doll hanging in my kitchen that I (someday!) plan on putting on here to show you. I am positive you could make them! Nice job...can't wait to see the results!

Skeeter said...

Hey I have an idea for you. Make them as Coneheads from Saturday Night Live! wink wink ;)

Jean Merriman said...

I think she has a very sweet look to her face. Just to pointed of a head but like you said, next time make an adjustment. Or do what Skeeter says. LOL. I look forward to seeing her all dressed up.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Dawn!
I knew she would be beautiful, and she is so beautiful. I love her little face, and her hair curls are just perfect. What a wonderful job you have done. You have outdone yourself for sure. Thanks for sharing sweetie. I can't wait to see her in her dress and trimmings.

Have a wonderful day sweetie. Country hugs, Sherry

kanishk said...

think she has a very sweet look to her face. Just to pointed of a head but like you said, next time make an adjustment
Work from home India