Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Painted Doll-part 1

Do you remember the 1940's cloth doll pattern I posted on a while back? Well, this is my attempt, I think it lost something in the enlarging. True to it's era, it has a lot of odd pieces. The heart shape is the head, the arms are joined and so is the torso. Most of the 30's and 40's toy patterns are designed in such a way that the whole toy is made leaving one long stitch line as shown below.


But, like I said, something was lost in the translation. My poor baby looked as if it were diving through the air, could she be saved? I figured all was not lost.....since I'd seen these beautifully painted, sanded and varnished, cloth dolls....I'd take the opportunity to try the method on my unusual doll. If I could save the head, I could try and tweak the body and limbs.



So on went the peach paint and the taupe glaze in hopes for the best.


I really don't know that this doll will make it to the display shelf.


It might end up being an experience. C&G Design


9 comments:

tina said...

Ah, neat. The head is not so bad.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Ohh Dawn!
If you want to give her a good home. I will adopt her. I love dolls, all kinds of dolls. There is no misfit doll in my home.

I can't wait to see her finished. Thanks for sharing this morning. Happy Tuesday sweetie. Stop by and say hi. I love to have you visit. Country hugs, Sherry

Skeeter said...

Dont give up just yet. Put her on that shelf and think on her a bit then get back to that dollie. Then show us your masterpiece!

Jean Merriman said...

You will pull it off.

Kathleen said...

I agree with Jean....You will end up with a beautiful finsihed project. You can't fool me....I know you can do it! Hugs, Kathleen

Roses and Lilacs said...

I can't imagine trying to paint on fabric. Good luck, can't wait to see how she turns out.
Marnie

Debbie said...

I know you will fix her up just right....after all...you ARE the doll doctore aren't you??? Ahem!!

Skeeter said...

Hum, this header is cute as a button as well...

Dawn said...

Skeeter, You caught me trying to get my vote post done for tomorrow!