Sunday, May 23, 2010

500 Handmade Dolls

Oh, I have just discovered Amazon books and what a mistake! I could overspend there, not to mention having the patience to wait for it in the mail. Lookie! Lookie! This caught my eye, only after the $105.00 dollar book that explains designing a doll (I think I can wait), anyway, there isn't really an explanation as to why this caught me except to say....it isn't a pattern book but more like a museum book full of inspiration.
All 500 dolls are listed but maker, title and material used, some are simple, some include things like chicken bones and fish skin. Ew.


How do you like Dewey?



Or, she's cute. Such ideas.

The book is divided by sections, non-traditional, traditional, fantasy, found objects--assemblage, and finally...cloth.


Witches makeover....


Even my husband was impressed with the realistic looks of these small works of art, they are beautiful.



This one is nylon. Can you imagine? It's the one that astonished my husband. Emits talent for sure.


This is is called confidant. Can ya think about that cuddly family pet that never divulged your darkest secrets? I can.


This one is a flat faced cloth, how wonderful to be able to capture such expressions.


Annonette Cely did this cloth doll, she is all over YouTube with tutorials and such, love her.


I have to say, this one is my favorite though. It's called "To the rescue", the fairy is saving the moth from the mouth of a large fish. Pine cone scales, grapevine structure, corn husk fins, maple leaf wings.
Who could ask for anything more? C&G Design

Words and photos by Dawn,C&G Design.

3 comments:

tina said...

I thought you made 500 dolls. Ha! That would be a feat. Nice book.

Jean Merriman said...

Wow, they are all incrediblely realistic. They all took real talent but the fish really gets my attention. As for using chicken bone and fish skin, do you remember the Santa's sleigh that Joanne made out of a dried turkey breast? It was great. You dry it really good and all the meat comes off and is like a fossil or something. Looks like a good book to give you lots of ideas and I bet you will make many a doll even without a pattern.

Lola said...

That is some book.
I too thought you had make 500 dolls.