Saturday, May 22, 2010

Precious Pink Lady Slipper

I love my lady slippers, I can't say enough about them, they're gorgeous, perfect and beautiful. They are protected due in part of it's flower formation, aka the slipper. You see...it's easy for a hungry bug to climb in the slipper but hard for it to get out thereby pollinating the world with slippers. The inner lips of the slipper is a trap that generally lead to death of the insect, this is after the disappointment of not finding very much pollen either.

The lady slipper has a life span of 20 years to reproduce an offspring. It withers and dies. In it's native land every hillside is covered with a sea of pink and white. Yellow is rarest.

Join Beverly at How Sweet the Sound for more pinks.
And remember to not pick the slippers! C&G Design



Words and photos by Dawn,C&G Design.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely! I don't think I've ever seen a Lady Slipper in person. Thanks for the info and Happy Pink Saturday.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lola said...

That is a great looking slipper. I've never seen a pink one, only white.
Happy Pink Saturday.

Jean Merriman said...

Oh they are so pretty. I have not seen one in the wild for years. You are lucky to have them on your land. I sure would love to see a whole hillside of em. What is their native land.

Lola, I think pink is the color we have the most of up here.

Protector of Vintage said...

Beautiful!! I wish I had some.

nannykim said...

We used to see these in Ct when i was a kid. I very much enjoyed this post!

http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/

CC said...

What a beautiful flower..I've never seen one for real I don't believe.. it's so sweet. Happy Pinks and have a lovely weekend.

Rebecca Nelson said...

Oh my gosh....I did NOT know this about the LS! I'm not even sure I've ever seen one in person.

Beautiful.

Happy Pink Saturday!

xoRebecca

tina said...

I love them too because they remind me of growing up and finding them in the woods. Takes me back. Even then I knew they were special. Must be spring there? How's the veggie garden going?