Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Dress

This is one of the prettiest dresses to work with, all boudoir doll have some silk on them be it a shirt or a turban or the whole dress as in mine. Well, I could not replace the sheer black lace that was originally on this dress so I picked something more sturdier. This lace started out white, black lace is hard to find at a reasonable price. Anyway, I have black fabric dye so I thought....hummmm that will work. Wrong-o! The lace has a base of polyester so therefore the dye took to a grey color. Spray paint to the rescue! Some may think this to be a bad idea but "Le me tell ya," once the lace was hand stitched on, the red of the skirt flared like it is supposed to with a stiffened slip. So beautiful.

I decided on this red and gold trim because I have the red and gold going on, it matches wonderfully. I stitched it on each sleeve, each layer of the skirt and around the neck. My main embellishment was strung through the trim because it is very heavy.


How pretty is that? One last thing to make her proportionate, these dolls have stuffing in their gown sleeves.



Better.....


Remember, my doll is 30 inches and I do not have a doll stand that goes that large so it's hard to photograph her but once she is done I will have Madame hold her so you can measure her size. One other thing, the marking on her back is actually M-K- with IN below it. I found out that she is a keen eyed boudoir doll manufactured by Victor Keney. Not much is know about this doll maker and not much is published about him. One true thing is, she is very collectible being a keen eyed. I was delighted and glad I left her eyes untouched.


On to the wig. C&G Design


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

While reading through and looking at the picture, I thought of addressing her as Madame - and you did call her that on the last part :-) Spray paint a lace - - - you sure have found a way :-) Her dress is beautiful.

Belated Happy Pink Saturday! )The dolly there sure looks as innocent as ever :-) )

Mizpah,
Li

Jean Merriman said...

Great job. I never would have thought to use spray paint but it was a great solution as the dress and the lace look fantastic.

Kathleen said...

I just adore her dress. Maybe you could make me a dress? She is just looking fabulous. Can't wait to see her with her wig. Hugs, Kathleen

tina said...

Just gorgeous!

Nancy said...

Dawn, I really think you chose the perfect elements on this doll. Everything just works together so well. Also, I am a huge fan of finding a solution that works and the spray paint accomplished both the color and the "starch". Hey, it's all just chemicals to begin with so what difference does it make if you get the result desired?

On the perm, good thing her mom restores dolls! You have the patience to work with her long hair. I'm surprised she could sit still that long. Hope you had some good music in the background! :-) I love the curls!

Lola said...

Beautiful.

Skeeter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skeeter said...

My bad on the deleted comment....

The dress is wonderful and Looks like a time consuming task. How cleaver with the paint :)