Friday, January 22, 2010

The Gypsy

I have completed the gypsy and we are very pleased how she came out, in fact she is both myself and my hubs favorite, for the time being at least. This is what she looked like when she came to live here, skinny, scrawny and scarred.

Still, I could see the potential she had.....



It took me awhile to mull over how to restore her beautiful black locks but I figured it out. The first thing I did though was attempt to dye some mohair, I tried twice with the black fabric dye but to no avail. It worked great if I wanted dark grey hair but not for the black. I ended up with regular hair dye, (thanks, Marnie!) worked like a charm! Here she is with her braid portions being glued on, I used the ace to steady the bunches of hair while it dried, doesn't she look gangsta?
What was left of her part was next to nothing, the top of her head was thinning and flat, so my plan of action was to glue one side of the part down and after it dried, glue the other side the same way. Once that side was dried I flipped it and glue it again.
The first side.....
The second side drying.....


Here she is with the finished hair-do, we decided she would look more like a gypsy if we left her hair loose, unfortunately this wasn't decided until after the pony braid were glued other wise I may of made long hair all the way around. It's not bad to stick with the original doll though.
One thing I could not change about this doll was her unleveled eyelashes, as I mentioned before they are attached under the composition which has made them stay all these years. (These were popular dolls of the 30's, 40's) I did try though but taping the lower one up and back to the composition in hopes it would curl up but it didn't do any good, I may try again after awhile
.
I used the former skirt lace as a side tied scarf, adding more mother of pearl shells to the loose ends. Like her earring? They also match the embellishment around her waist.


Certainly a different doll.....

Here is the natural flare of her skirt.

A beautiful side view.....

And a close-up of her eighteen bracelet bangles in the copper and gold. Don't cha wish that was the current style?

Her hair is the softest feeling mohair I have felt, I'm to never return to fabric dye again. Smells good too.

I like the way the shells reflect the light.

For now she has a honorary spot next to Helen on the entertainment center (Helen is 26'', Gypsy is 30"). Hubs needs to make me another shelf!


I call her Isabella, the gypsy boudoir doll. C&G Design

10 comments:

tina said...

Isabella is beautiful and looks right at home next to Helen.

Protector of Vintage said...

You did such a wonderful job! She is stunning!!

Roses and Lilacs said...

How pretty. I love all bangles, bracelets and earrings! The hair does look nice.

Nancy said...

Dawn, you did such a wonderful restoration. Now that I am starting to do projects, I know just how much time goes into even the smallest of things. I applaud your patience, again.

Have you tried an eyelash curler? Maybe that is too harsh. How about a stiff hair gel and a pencil to curl them around? I'm so ignorant of doll restoration, but you know me, never give up!

Hope your family had a great day celebrating your son's birthday, too. He is quite the man now and will amaze you as such very soon. I have seen it happen! Bittersweet. :-)

Jean Merriman said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!! I love her name, it just seems like a perfect fit for her.

Jennifer Swan Hopkins said...

Hi Dawn, I think YOU are the doll in your house. TY for visiting me and reading my posts, yesterday's for my anniversary was awfully indulgent I know - but it is the absolute truth in how I feel. Blessed♥

This doll is nothing short of stunning, what a fabulous job you did on her. Don't you love it when you find something that "works" like that dye? I do too.

I have to go read your son's b'day post now. Thank you again, xJ

http://maidenshade.net

Kathleen said...

Dawn, she is just beautiful. Who could not fall in love with this doll? And she is the essential gypsy, for sure. I especially love her earrings. Great make-over! hugs, Kathleen

Coloradolady said...

Oh my goodness....what a great job you did! She is beautiful.

Mollye said...

Oh I am blown away at the after pics of this little beauty. What a professional and totally awesome job you two did. Mollye

Skeeter said...

That is one hot gal. You need to find her a date as she is too pretty to not have a mate....