Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Little Golden Ann and Andy

One thing I've always had a tender spot for is "Little Golden Books", there seems to be something about them that reminds me of childhood, be it the golden spine, the size of the books or just the quality of the stories, Whenever I see one, I think "oh, which one?"
This is one of two Ann and Andy's little golden book that I have. It is marked The Bobbs-Merrill Company, inc, 1977 with the second print in 1978.

Baby doll, China doll, cowboy, French doll and the fireman have a role in this story about Ann and Andy helping out Christmas Eve. Here they all are waiting for Santa in the living room.


Santa tells them he is late getting to the big house at the North pole, Andy and Andy thought that no one really lived there.
Notice how different Ann and Andy looked in the seventies, they had real rosy cheeks and dashes under their eyes.



Well, after Santa gets on his way, the toys discover a gift had fallen from the sack, it was "To Nancy". Ann, Andy and the group hook Peterkins and Fido up to the sled and they track Santa down. Santa rewards them each with kiss on the forehead.





I think my collectible guide has the wrong year for this book, what do you think? Can they make mistakes? C&G Design




7 comments:

tina said...

Doubtful the guide made a mistake but anything is possible. I love golden books too. I still have all the ones I bought for the girls when they were babies. I'd like to find a buyer with lots of money:)

Jean Merriman said...

I think everyone must have a soft spot for the golden books. If not, they must have had a pretty sad childhood or were a really sad parent.

Your book is really a gem.

Skeeter said...

Ah, my Ann and Andy fix for the day! I had lots of the golden books at the Daycare center I worked at. The kids favorite was the Pokey Little Puppy! My grandmother had golden books for us and I wonder what ever happen to them. Hum, maybe up in moms attic where I must do a bit more digging the next time I am home...

Skeeter said...

Dawn, this site,

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,raggedy-ann-andy,675509.html

says there was a third printing in 1979 so maybe the first was in 1972Ya think Possible???

Kathleen said...

I, too, love the Little Golden Books, and had a bunch of them...they were always my favorite books. I especially loved, Scuppers The Sailor Dog. Interesting about the dates of this book. Hope your pup is doing well, Hugs, Kathleen

Nancy said...

Love Little Golden Books, too.

Protector of Vintage said...

What a charming book!! I look forward to your Wednesday posts. Raggedy Ann makes me smile.