Friday, July 10, 2009

Tartarus has a Happy Ending!

Disclaimer: Do not proceed if you have a squeamish stomach or are sensitive to the idea of surgery and or recovery to surgery. I've tried to ease photos in of Tartarus's medical problem, this is the results of a better quality of life for him and he is much happier! So many have commented on his process and everyone has been very supporting in their prayers. We have a happy ending thus far! Expectation is that it will continue. Tartarus had his surgery to amputate his right ear on Tuesday, you can see by the above photo how large the tumor had got. It was weepy and getting all the threads from his bed, fuzz from nothing, cat hairs, and general outside soil, stuck to it.

Here is a closer look. It was sore, infected and didn't want to recover. It was also spreading, he had two more warts on the backside of his ear and I suspect they would of ballooned shortly. As pet owners, I think sometimes it would be so helpful if our cats, dogs, birds, etc., could tell us "What's up?" Occasionally. After lengthy exams and blood work that showed Tartarus had no underlying issues and is in good health, we decided to prolong whatever time he has with us by making him more comfortable. It was hard dropping him off at the vet's, once Madame got his chain lease Tartarus started trembling, the hint that his food was taken away at 7:00pm the night before let him know....Surgery happened at 10:30 and I was calling at noontime. I was told by the vet assistant he did remarkably well, amazing about coming too from the anesthesia, and might be able to go home before the planned 6:00 pm time. One hour later, they were calling me. We were spoken to by the vet, he reiterated the fact Tartarus did REEEALY well coming out of anesthesia and he had no complications. I had to tell myself several times, people crop their dog's ears everyday.


When he was finally let into the room he was distant and dazed, he looked so depressed. He had no collars (clothes) on, and the ear looked injured as I forgot it needed to be shaved. He found us and kinda leaned on us as Hubby and I spoke to him. Suddenly I heard to vet tell Madame "they didn't do anything to his tail" as it was wagging. I do not like Tartarus on severe pain meds as he appears lost and saddened, I sat with him for the rest of the day and it was hard to convey that the effects of "flying" was "all better". We walked and at around 5:00 pm I fed him, he had canned, a treat. It was also the only thing he felt like eating, even a snack made him burp. The picture above is a "feel better" photo, eating did the trick. Alot of shaking his head but no scratching, thank goodness, I really didn't want put the collar on him on top of everything else



Tartarus feels so much better now than before. Today (Thursday) he even took off into the woods when he heard a squirrel give it's 'squeak'. He hadn't done that in a while, it was nice. He has tried to wash it by bringing his head down to his paw (what he did before), but I think, somehow he did not get the same taste, he gave up quickly but satisfactory. I still don't think he feels it's better at this point but I do think he knows it's different. The vet was kind enough to curl the outside of the ear over the inside skin of his ear, he also stitched it whereas many others don't. Even my son has decided this was best and he's glad we did it. I'm looking forward to a couple of more fun years with my beloved dog.




"Duh, where's that squirrel?" C&G Design





9 comments:

tina said...

He doesn't look bad at all. So glad he is feeling better.

Protector of Vintage said...

So happy to hear that he is doing well!!

Debbie said...

Oh what a good boy!! The surgery was a success! Yay yay yay!! Our prayers were answered. I was still praying for him yesterday. He seems to be doing excellent Dawn...how blessed that is. I also hate those collars they ask us to put on the dogs. The look like an Elizabethean or an alien...not sure which...plus they bump into everything. I am so happy for your Tar-tar and your family. He is so lucky to have a truly kind and loving family as yours. It doesn't look that bad either. When I read your intro, I scrolled down slowly because I am a bit squeemish sometimes....but it was fine. Great news! Thanks for sharing that with all of us!!! Go tar-tar!!

Jean Merriman said...

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!!!!! So happy for all you guys and the dog. He even looks better, more alive and happy. With his age, like Debbie said, it is a blessing.

Anonymous said...

He looks great! Oh that made me want to cry - you're such a good mommy. I can't stand it when our fur babies have boo-boos. They are so innocent and don't understand, and sometimes we have to make such difficult decisions.

TY for coming by and leaving such a sweet message. I've just gotten done submitting one of my wallhangings in a juried show PLUS I submitted MaidenShade to be considered for a spot in a rotating artist project at a local mall. It's kind of like a coop where you may be with a number of other artists and each takes turns manning the shop. Then there are monthly open houses and artist walks where you get exposure. I wish it was for MANY months at a time, but it is 1 or 2.

Talk to you soon, xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com

Skeeter said...

This is happy news today! His ear does not look bad at all but who cares what it looks like as long as he is happy and healthy! Those fur babies do rely on us to take the best care of them possible. And I do believe you have been a good fur baby mommy to Tar-Tar Boy. Raising my glass to many more fun years of chasing squirrels up trees!

♥Mimi♥ said...

My goodness, you did what you had to do for the love of your dog. I would have made the same decision. He looks great and much more comfortable, too.

Kathleen said...

Oh, he is still such a handsome boy, and he is smiling, too! I would have done the same....your boy has a wonderful family, and is truly loved. I've been worried about him, like I was worried over Obie, Debbie's dog. Glad to know the boy is doing fine. Is that rain they are predicitng? Nah! Can't be....Hugs, Kathleen

Lola said...

I am so glad that tar-tar is so much better. He even looks happier. That must have been awful for him. It's a shame they can't tell us what is wrong---so much like a baby before they talk.